Cancer questions

Home Forums Cancer discussion Cancer questions

• This topic has 7 voices and 25 replies.
Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Lena
    Keymaster

It might be worth a visit with a holistic vet – there may be a stronger herbal that can be used to drain some of the swelling. Also if they are thinking this is cancer or related to the lymphoma I would recommend seeing an oncologist. They may also have a better idea if this is really cancer. Have you considered a biopsy to see if you can figure out exactly what it is – that is going to be the best way to diagnose what is going on and probably something you regular vet can do. It will give any vet you end up working with a better idea of plan to treat her.

poppy

Dear Doc, I have a 3.5yrs old shih tzu who has swelling on most of her lymph nodes. We have already taken her to a vet and waiting for a biopsy which would probably come in 2 weeks time. The suspicion is that there is a high chance it is lymphoma cancer. Weirdly enough, two of her marmary glands were also swollen and were also taken out which the vet is not sure whether it is related.

After reading about artemisinin, I have already ordered artemin50 while waiting for the results of the biopsy and the intention is to start chemo and artemisinin. As there are no specified dosage on artermisinin, can i get your advise on the following questions:

1) Can we start artemin 50 before the results are out? In the hope that the swelling subsides.

2) She weighs 6kg or 13.2pounds, what dosage of artemin50 would you recommend?

3) Would you recommend any other type of herbal during her chemo? I have read that “Pu Zhong Yi Qi Tang” can help to reduce the side effects of chemo, have you have any experienced with this?

Thank you so much if you could help me with these queries and I can start immediately.

Poppy

Lena
    Keymaster

Hi Poppy,

You should definitely consult with your vet about all this since they have all the records and know what is going on. You could also find a holistic vet to work with. If you haven’t found it you are welcome to read through my cancer articles http://pathwithpaws.com/blog/cancer-care/. These may be the most helpful for you and should answer your questions. Hopefully it is not lymphoma.

http://pathwithpaws.com/blog/2011/09/24/bu-zhong-yi-qi-tang-chemotherapy-herbal-support-for-dogs-and-cats/

http://pathwithpaws.com/blog/2011/03/26/artemisinin-when-cancer-cells-kill-themselves/

http://pathwithpaws.com/blog/2011/06/07/lymphoma-dogs-and-cats-integrative-medicine-chemotherapy-acupuncture/

http://pathwithpaws.com/blog/2011/12/11/how-to-find-a-good-holistic-vet-to-work-with/

poppy

Thanks Doc for your reply,

I have read those articles and found them extremely helpful. We also have a family vet working with us but have not been able to find a holistic vet (not common in this part of the world). From your articles on artemisinin, it says to dose 50mg twice a day for dogs below 25 pounds. Do I need to half the dose if my dog only weighs half of that?

If we do start her on artemisinin before the biopsy result is out, would it do any harm to her or has any negative side effects?

Thanks again!!!

Poppy

Lena
    Keymaster

I dose all animals under 25lb at 50mg twice a day including cats. I have found artemisinin to be very safe and have not had any animal have negative side effects from it (with the exception of that it is not safe with radiation therapy). However that needs to be a decision between you and your vet if you should start it or not.

poppy

Thanks doctor. I just got the blood results:

Haemoglobin 10.0 g.dL

Red Cell Count 4.1 x10(12)/L

Total White cell count 26.9 x10(9)/L

Neutrophils 49.0% Abs 13.18 x10(9)/L

Haematocrit (PCV) 0.28 <

This, the vet mentioned that is a bit low.

I will be starting her chemo in a couple of days and hope that the side effects for her will not be too drastic.

Also, for the artemisinin, my holistic vet is not familar with it and would be giving her his own combination herbs and acupunture. His advise is not to take any other herbs and supplements during this time.

To increase the success rate of her recovery, I am still considering giving her artemisinin or any other herbs. Can I have your opinion on this? Whether i should still be giving her artemisinin since it may not have any conflicting issue with other herbs and the chemo?

Thanks a million again!

Lena
    Keymaster

I’ve used artemisinin many times with other herbs and chemo. However that needs to be a decision between you and your vet.

I often have folks that come to me as clients with animals on other supplements that I don’t use myself that they have found online. I often explain that it isn’t that those supplements are bad or wrong but that I have their dog or cat in front of me and am able to pick supplements or herbs that I feel like fit the best for that animal. Usually we end up stopping what they are already on so I can use herbals/supplements I have seen work well and fit their animal well. It may be the same with your holistic vet – we all have tools that work well in our hands and I respect that. He knows you dog after all and may feel he has better tools then the artemisinin. I almost always use it because I feel like the dogs I treat for cancer do better on it but I have holistic veterinarians I am close to who treat cancer well with other herbals/supplements. There are many ways to work with cancer.

Diane Bailey

April 23, 2012

Dear Dr. McCullough,

With tearful eyes I am writing you to let you know your website is truly wonderful. The way you convey your passion and understanding of animals with such sensitivity is so heartfelt and very much appreciated.

I discovered your website a few days ago and have read most of your articles. I was searching the internet to find out about Hoxsey Formula – Canine and thankfully came across your site.

I too, have a heartfelt story about my “Brandy,” a 12 year old Rhodesian Ridgeback/ Lab mix. We rescued her ten years ago from a very abusive situation. She has a story that needs to be told but right now I am so concerned about her health needs and do not want to over burden you. I have turned to you because I am so impressed with your knowledge and compassion. Here is a brief medical history:

Sixteen months ago Brandy had a soft tissue sarcoma of peripheral nerve sheath origin. Cells were at the edge of section so there was a high chance for recurrence. As this was a grade 1 tumor, the chance for metastasis was 10% or less (we opted not to do radiation because of the grade 1 and multiple treatments of anesthesia. We felt the quality of our dog’s life was more important than quantity. Dogs live for the day and we didn’t want her to suffer any pain or misunderstand our reasoning during trips to the doctor for this. We also felt we could do surgery again if there were a recurrence).

Last month 2 masses were discovered, both soft tissue sarcomas of peripheral nerve sheath origin. Cells were at the edge of section, so there was a high chance for recurrence. As this was a grade 2 tumor, the chance for metastasis was 20% or less. These could potentially be metastatic tumors with the axillary mass being metastatic from the carpus mass; however, these could also be separate primaries. There is no evidence of lymphoid tissue in the axillary mass that would indicate this is a lymph node.

However, our surgeon said the tumor surrounded the entire lymph node and no lymph node was present in the remaining area operated on. He stated that the axilla mass removed was as big as a large man’s fist. We never felt or observed this mass. We went to the surgeon to check a small pea size growth on her ankle. The doctor even examined her and wasn’t aware of the underarm tumor until she relaxed with us and her body became less tense. At that point he noticed that something was there.

The reason for discussing this is because I am thinking that the underarm tumor could have been there as her primary site or she had it for some time undetected. Her tumors are now at a grade 2. We had her x-rayed before surgery and her lungs were clear. Her blood work was also fine.

Have you had any patient success with this type of cancer? If so, what protocol did you use? Did you use Hoxsey Formula or what? My dog has a sensitive stomach and is a very picky eater. At the present she is eating Orijen dry food and cooked chicken. Also, we add Synovial Flex soft chews (2 per day) to her food mixture.

Our dog seems to be in good health, loves to walk twice a day and has a good appetite. She is a real love and is so special to everyone she comes in contact with.

I would appreciate any advice, or if there is a past patient history you could share, it would be helpful.

Sincerely,

Diane

Lena
    Keymaster

Hi Diane,

My guess is that Hoxsey make not be the way to go if she has a sensitive stomach and is a picky eater. If there is anyway you can find a holistic vet in your area I think that is going to be your best course, esp if she is sensitive. Here is a few lists you can use, I esp like the veterinary botanical medical association list.

http://pathwithpaws.com/blog/2011/12/11/how-to-find-a-good-holistic-vet-to-work-with/

The one nerve sheath tumor I worked with was about a month ago and was very, very aggressive. By the time we started treatment it was much more advanced then any of us knew and we did not learn that it was already extensively in the spine until after a surgery. We really didn’t have time for anything to work well unfortunately.

If you can’t come up with a holistic vet in your area you may want to talk to your regular vet about some of these supplements/herbals and see if you can find an acupuncturist in your area.

http://pathwithpaws.com/blog/2011/12/29/a-mini-protocol-for-any-cancer/

best wishes,

Lena

Diane Bailey

Dear Dr. McCullough,

I last wrote you on April 23, 2012. Thank you for you post and time, it was very much appreciated. We did take Brandy off Hoxsey after just 2 days due to her sensitive stomach. We found a wonderful hosistic DVM one hour away. She has put Brandy on: Xue Fu Zhu Yu Tang mixed with Huang Qi (3/4 tsp, 2 x day), Si Jun Zi Tang (1/4 tsp 2 x day), Curcuvet (150 mg 1 capsul 2 x day), DHA (3 per day), Tri-Forte (Reishi Mycelium, Shiitake mycelium and Cordyceps mycelium; 2 capsuls 2 x day). Also, we mix this all with 1 large “Stella & Chewy’s” raw chicken patty, 1 boiled chicken thigh and 1 “Synovi G3” soft chew ( 2 x day). She eats all the food and has appeared to be very happy and healthy, until yesterday. This past week we’ve noticed slight swelling in the cancerous ankle. Today she did not want to go for her normal walks. After conferring with our holistic DVM she suggested talking to our “regular vet” to see if there is anything we haven’t tried. Both our vets recommended seeking additional advice. We are very fortunate to be working with such open-minded doctors.

Are there any herbs or supplements that you can suggest for her type of cancer? Is Artemisinin or Neoplasene appropriate for this type of cancer? We are even contemplating another surgery because she is otherwise still very healthy at 12 yrs. old. Is there anyone on this forum or blog that has had any experience with this type of cancer? We are open to all suggestions.

Thanks again,

Diane

Lena
    Keymaster

Hi Diane,

I tend to use Artemisinin in almost all the animals I treat with cancer. It does seem to slow things down and also is very safe if used without radiation. I am not a fan of Neoplasene and am a little afraid to use it however I know vets who used it and have good success. Xiao Chai Hu Tang sometimes can enhance the effecs of XFZYT so that may also be a consideration esp since it is good for stomach upset and dogs with sensitive tummies. I would check in with the holistic vet you are working with and see if she thinks any of these would be good for Brandy. I really wish I could say I had more experience with the nerve sheath tumors, I just really don’t.

best wishes,

Lena

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.