Cat w/ Cancer

Home Forums Dementia and old age discussion Cat w/ Cancer

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Leesa

Hello My name is Lisa. I just joined. My 13yr old cat Simon was just diagnosed with cancer under his tongue and an enlarged thyroid. Have any of you delt w/ this type of cancer in cats?? Hes getting a steriod shot every 3 weeks in hopes it shrinks the tumor. But my vet told me these shots only work for so long. I know hes gonna lose this battle but it breaks my heart!! What I’m wondering is…………am I doing the right thing by putting him through the shots??? HELP……I feel so helpless!!! Thanks ~~Lisa in PA

Lena
    Keymaster

Lisa,

Do you know what type of cancer this is? Squamous cell is one of most common ones you see in the mouth in cats. Usually the thyroid condition is not cancerous and caused by a benign tumor that produces too much thyroid hormone so it sounds like he has two separate disease processes. If it is squamous cell steroids can significantly help both with quality and quantity of life. If it is squamous cell this article may be helpful

http://pathwithpaws.com/blog/2011/10/15/squamous-cell-carcinoma-holistic-herbal-and-integrative-treatments-in-dogs-and-cats/

best wishes,Lena

Leesa

Yes Lena it is Squamous Cell…….So u feel the steriod shots should help?? I am happy to say he even ate some ice cream tonight!! And ran through the house for a few minutes playing w/ my 2 yr old boy Jack! Im just hoping I’m doing the right thing! He still wont eat hard food and I havent really seen him drink much! Thanks for your reply..It helps!! ~~~Lisa in Pa!

Ps…..Jack is also a cat!!

Lena
    Keymaster

Yes, the shots should help slow things down. Try some really soft wet food with him and ask your vet about pain meds if he still is not eating well.

Leesa

Thank u Lena!! My question now is……………….How will I know its time??? Simon is hungry and eats soft food 2 times a day (like a piggy). But one minute he looks miserable and the next hes playing w/ a toy??? So he is still in there, but how do u know when it is time??? I love him toooooo much to let him suffer….but I don’t want to put him down before his time! HELP!!!!

Lena
    Keymaster

Leesa,

I don’t know if there is one right answer to knowing when it is time. There has been a few discussions on the forums about this for different animals. Many times you just know – there is often something that shifts. Usually I look for things like if they are eating, if they still want attention, how many good days there are compared to bad ones, if they are withdrawing from the family. With tumors in the mouth usually I find it is eating that is what ends up being the issue in the end.

We went through squamous cell with one of our cats – I knew it was time when he wanted to eat but couldn’t. He would try to and just could not work his mouth to swallow the food anymore. It was horrible to watch. He was already wanting to find places under the bushes to hide in and not seeking attention as much. It was pretty clear.

Don’t underestimate the value of pain meds, they can make living much easier.

I have also worked a lot with a shaman/animal communicator/healer Rose DeDan when it comes to end of life issues. She has been there to help me with my animals when I think we are getting close and I have found her work very helpful. http://reikishamanic.com/sessions/ She does do phone sessions. There may also be someone in your area who does similar work. I always recommend getting a recommendation from someone you know before working with a communicator. There are very good ones and ones who are unfortunately not good.

Remember too that they are attached to us and sometimes are not ready to leave us even if they are having difficulties. It is helpful to let him know that you understand that he may need to go and that it is ok for him to leave if he needs to.

If he is still enjoying life and eating, even if sometimes he is not happy, most likely he is not ready to go yet. But you know him better than anyone else so also follow your heart. There is not a wrong decision about this once they are hospice. Hopefully he will make it clear to you when he is ready.

Leesa

Thank you so much Lena! As pet owners it just a decision we never want to make…that being said I know its my responsabilty to make it!He goes thursday to check and see if the shot helped or not, I guess we will go from there!

Thanks again!! ~Lisa

Leesa

Just wanted to let you know with a VERY heavy heart Simon lost his fight on thursday April 5. It was just to much for his little to handle! The tumor was actually rotting in his mouth, and the vet said it was pretty aggesive as it started to do so in the 9 since she last saw him and it was spreading. So the best thing for Simon was to put him down. I know it was the right thing…..but it doesn’t make my heart hurt any less! Thanks Lena for your advice and caring!!!

Lena
    Keymaster

I’m so sorry Leesa. It sounds like it was the right decision for Simon but it is still hard to let them go.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.