Dog dementia and not eating

Home Forums Dementia and old age discussion Dog dementia and not eating

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    ndmom4

I have a 15 year old miniature dachshund who shows no interest in food. She seems to not recognize food. I have been home cooking for 18 months. She even refuses to eat that. All I can hand feed her is an oatmeal cookie and Wendy’s hamburger meat. But this is a struggle. It is like she does not recognize food as food. She shakes her head and spits everything I try. I have tried every kind of food. Nothing interests her. She does howl in her cage now and then but she still knows where she is and has good night sleeps. The loss of food recognition and appetite are really her only symptoms of dementia. She has seen her vet. But any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Lena
    Keymaster

Hi ndmom4,

I have many animals I work with where eating is a struggle. Often times feeding something different every day will help. There are also some very good western drugs for appetite stimulation. Bitters can also help in some cases – I often use formulas with artemisia and gentiana. You can probably find something from a western herbalist. Rotisserie chickens often seem to be popular.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.