Rattlesnake vaccine

Home Forums Medical issues and disease discussion Rattlesnake vaccine

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Today we woke up to find one of our cats with a swollen paw and leg. I thought it was an abscess and took him to the vet since I read that abscesses causing leg swelling could lead to amputation if not treated. Well, it turns out he had been bitten by a rattlesnake and is currently undergoing treatment with antivenin. Healing vibes, please!

We now live in an area known for snakes. I work my 5 year old Aussie on livestock out on our land, and hike around with our other two dogs as well, but they are seniors. One is Josie who I posted about with suspected early liver disease. I am wondering about getting the rattlesnake vaccine for at least the young dog since he’ll be working out there. I am worried about giving it to Josie, though, even though she is very active – worried that with her possible kidney issues it would be a bad idea.

I can’t find anything about rattlesnake vaccines for cats. I’m worried about all of my cats. I hate to make them be indoor only but I don’t want to lose them, either. They have been great at working the gopher problem here.

If I do get the rattlesnake vaccine for the younger dog, would Thuja 30C be the homeopathic remedy for it or is there another I should use instead?

Lena
    Keymaster

I don’t really have a good answer as I don’t live in rattlesnake country and didn’t even know there was a vaccine for it. I would see if there is a holistic vet in your area who has had experience.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.