Bromelain

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    betsycam

Our poor old dog Joxer, 13 years old, has hind end weakness, and about a week ago on a walk he suddenly was dragging his hind legs behind him! His hind right leg was especially useless and his left couldn’t support his hind end so he was dragging himself along. We took him to the vet and she determined he still had reflexes and a deep pain response when squeezing his toes, and so prescribed Robaxin, Rimadyl, and to keep him totally quiet and that he should improve in a week. If not, then MRI etc.

We followed up with our holistic vet a few days later who did acupuncture and chiropractic, found his spine was really tweaked. She gave us Resinalle (contains bromelain), Traumeel, and Pain Plus to use after the week of Rimadyl is up.

It’s tough to get all the supplements/meds in on top of the others I am already giving him, with the timing being different (every 12 hours, every 8 hours, etc.). The Resinalle is the question: it has to be given on an empty stomach. How long after a meal might that be? If I were to give it to him first thing in the morning, how long do I need to wait before feeding him breakfast?

He is gradually improving. Any other suggestions?

Betsy

betsycam

I forgot to add that the Resinalle is to be given twice a day on an empty stomach.

Lena
    Keymaster

Hi Betsy,

I have never used Resinalle before. I would check with the vet who prescribed on your questions about giving it as hopefully they should know. I have found that a combo of acupuncture, chinese herbs and hydrotherapy really can get these guys back on their feet. The chinese herbs I use are fairly animal specific. Usually I just have them on one herbal and then often they are also on western drugs but all vets work different in practice and have our favorite approaches. Here is a link to my favorite hydrotherapy pool in my area. http://wellspringsk9.com/ You may be able to find something similar in your area.

Here is a little article I wrote on paralysis a long time ago which may be helpful http://pathwithpaws.com/blog/2009/05/01/the-mysteries-of-nerves-paralysis-seizures-and-old-age-neurologic-conditions-part-1-paralysis/

And another which talks about how Chinese herbs are used

http://pathwithpaws.com/blog/2009/01/22/my-secret-world-of-plants/

Personally I do not use supplements on an empty stomach, even those which are said to work better that way. I think it is just too hard to give them that way. The only supplements I have people give without a meal are appetite stimulants since usually they are not eating well and we don’t have a choice.

betsycam

Thank you for your response, Lena! Great links! Joxer is maybe 2/3 of the way back but sort of stalled out. There’s a swim therapy place near his vet. How often should they have that kind of therapy? My hubby and are I both recently unemployed so need to find the least expensive solutions possible!

Betsy

Lena
    Keymaster

I would take to the hydrotherapy pool. Usually they like to start with twice a week but often have a self swim option that is cheaper where you take over some of the therapy.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.