EXTREME allergies

Home Forums Medical issues and disease discussion EXTREME allergies

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    junie

Hi – my cat has the most extreme allergies any vet(s) have ever seen. HESKA tested her blood twice because they could not believe how high her #s were. Currently the lower have of her abdomen and inner legs are completely raw and open. I have been working with vets in the New England states for the last two years and have basically been told there is nothing that can be done. I understand there is alot of new experimental treatments going on in the South and West. DR.s here wont even take note. I am currently working with a Chinese veterinary herbalist. But this seems to be making the cat worse. Nettle, Hoxsey- like, and some other formula. She is vomiting, trembling and has diarrhea and itches more now! We also have her on a raw food diet. she eats litter and dirt from my plants. Has anyone had a similar EXTREME pet and if so what has worked. Did you use Herbs. I have read that Hoxsey has bad side effects. When I first found this cat she had these current symptoms x10 including the high white blood count. I have worked to relive them in the first year and a half. Now that we are trying the Chinese herbs the symptoms are back

Any thoughts – as I have called vets all over the country and no one seems interested in our case!!!

Lena
    Keymaster

Hi Junie,

Allergies are one of the most frustrating problems to work with. If she is that bad with open sores and bleeding I would highly encourage you to talk to your vet about adding in some western drugs if you are not already. I often times have animals on antihistamines and/or steroids while we are treating them with herbals.

Herbals are difficult because you do sometimes get symptoms coming back up as you “peel away the layers of the onion” and it can feel like things are getting worse. The very severe animals I have worked with successfully with herbs, it usually takes us about a year to get them to a fairly stable place (just occasional flare ups that we can control easily) That being said I have also had a few animals that any herbal I put them on made them severely worse and the only thing I could figure is that they were allergic to the herbs also and we just needed to go back to the standard of western medicine. It could be that is the case with her.

Hoxsey can be very damp and heat clearing but does not provide any digestive support. It sounds like she has an underlying digestive issue (aka leaky gut). Clearly if it is causing vomiting, diarrhea and trembling it does not sound like the best herbal for her. And as much as I like all my itchy animals on raw, if she is having diarrhea she may need to be on a good home cooked or canned grain free until her gut is more healed.

The animals I treat successfully I feel like I need to see every 2-3 weeks for the first few months to check pulse and tongue and check in with their people and make sure we are going in the right direction. We switch and change dosages of herbs often. Sometimes things get worse and if it for a few days I usually let it go and it gets better after that, if it is longer than we change herbs based on tongue and pulse. Usually in cats have found Qing Ying Tang is the most successful for severe itch and is much more gentle on the gut then Hoxsey. I have had some cats that just needed Qing Ying Tang. I don’t know your cat so it may not be the right herbal for her.

What you need is a very good herbalist who you feel comfortable with and can have lots of communication with. I would recommend using western drugs to make her more comfortable in the process. It will take awhile but the animals that I have good communication with their people, compliance of giving medications, and a willingness to work with me for 6-12 months I can get to a good quality of life about 85% of the time. And yes many of these are hairless and bleeding.

How do you find someone?

See if there is anyone on this list in your area. It is going to be much better if you can find someone in your area.http://www.vbma.org/US%20members.html

If you absolutely can not find anyone in your area you might want to consider Dr. Basko

http://www.drbasko.com/site/ . He is a great herbalist and nutritionist and does phone consultations.

Best of luck

Lena

http://www.vbma.org/US%20members.html

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.