Rottweiler w/ possible bone cancer

Home Forums Cancer discussion Rottweiler w/ possible bone cancer

• This topic has 3 voices and 10 replies.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    michellek

Hello-

About three weeks ago, I noticed a slight limp in my 6 1/2 year old Rottweiler, Boo-Boo. Two weeks later, the limp had not gone away and so we took him to the vet. The vet took x-rays and blood work. The blood-work was normal, but on the X-ray, she believed it to be the start of osteosarcoma. Although she was not sure, she recommended getting a bone biopsy. What is your opinion on getting one done? I have heard negative thoughts behind a bone biopsy, having heard that it may make matters worse. I am scheduled w/ another vet for a second opinion. I would like to hear your thoughts on this matter.

Also to be on the safe side, I switched him over to your high protein and no grain cancer diet, as well as your cancer protocol including IP6, COQ1o, Artemisinin, and SanSheDan ChuanBeiYe. I am following the doses that you recommend for over 100lbs, since he is 118lbs. Also he is taking pain killers from the vet. Do you recommend any another supplements or foods in particular for his weight and breed?

His limb seems to be very prominent some days, and other days he is limp-free. He doesn’t seem to have any other symptoms. I hope it is not cancer. I would be devastated.

I would love to hear your opinions and thought. It would greatly be appreciated. Thank you so much

-Michelle

Lena
    Keymaster

Hi Michelle,

I’m not a huge fan of bone biopsies because of the complications and because you can usually tell from a X-ray. If you haven’t had the X-ray sent to a radiologist that would be a good option. A lot of times if there is uncertainty another option is to repeat the X-ray in a month to see if the lesion has gotten worse or not. If it is cancer usually it is worse then. I think getting a second opinion is an excellent idea.

Hopefully it is not cancer.

You may have already read this but here is my article on diet for cancer.

http://pathwithpaws.com/blog/2011/05/01/diets-for-cancer-in-cats-and-dogs-you-are-what-you-eat-a-fighting-cancer-machine/

michellek

Hi Lena!

Thanks for the quick response. Yes, I am planning to see what this new vet says. I really don’t want to do the bone biopsy. If this new vet wants to do a bone biopsy as well, then I will send the xray to a radiologist. Its been about ten days since the xray was taken.

If it is not cancer, what do you think this may be?

And yes, I already started the cancer diet that you recommended. Of course, he is loving it!

Thanks again,

Michelle

lena

Generally the things that look the most like bone cancer on X-ray are fungal disease (which is uncommon but also has a fairly bad prognosis if it is in the bone) and congenital defects. Usually bone cancer (osteosarcoma) is not in the joint so not often confused with arthritis however there are other cancers that can be in the bone at the joint and then it is hard to tell.

michellek

Lena-

Oh I see. Well, I hope whatever it is, it is treatable and nothing life-threatening. How would I go about having a radiologist look at the xray? Would I do it on my own or through a vet?

I appreciate the feedback.

-Michelle

lena

It would be through your vet. Normally they have someone they work with.

michellek

Thanks, Lena. I will keep you posted.

michellek

Hi Lena,

So, Last week Boo-Boo went in to see a second vet for another opinion. He did another round of x-rays, this time they were done on his chest. They were sent to a radiologist and I should be getting the phone call tomorrow to see what the results are. I decided to bypass the bone biopsy and go this route.

I have a few questions concerning herbs and their dosage. For the SanSheDan ChuanBeiYe, I have been giving Boo-Boo two 10ml. bottles, twice a day. He weighs 118lbs. Is this the correct dosage?

Also I have purchased Xue Fu Zhu Yu Tang,but have not started giving it to him. Is this herb safe to give even if he doesnt have lung metastasis? And how does it come into play with the rest of what Im giving him? What would you recommend for his dosage?

Currently he is on:

A cancer diet ( meats, liver, veggies, eggs, nordics oil, etc)

Artemisin

IP6

COQ10

Shiitake Mushrooms

SanScheDean ChuanBeiye

Xiao Chai Hu Tang w/ an additional ginseng extract

I appreciate your thoughts and opinions. Thanks.

michellek

Hi Lena-

I have just finished speaking to the vet and the vet said that the radiologist diagnosed a bone tumor also known as ostercercoma. The good news is that the radiologist said that there is no evidence in the lungs. So I was told that Boo-Boo will live 3-6 months w/o treatment, 6-9 w/ treatment and a small percentage live a long life. We have to make a decision now as a family. I think we are leaning mostly towards amputation. I know u are a strong suppoter of it. I think w/ amputation and chemo and the herbs it will help him greatly and help him live longer.

Also I think the herbs and the diet are playing a major part in preventing the cancer to spreading into the lungs. Do you think I should modify anything in his protocol now, knowing this new info?

Lena
    Keymaster

I know it is very difficult but I can not legally tell you what to do for Booboo. You should be able to find dosages that I use for the animals I treat in all the herbal articles. I am a huge supporter of amputation just because I have seen so many dogs do so well. I have not had a dog have bad side effects with Xue Fu Zhu Yu Tang and consider it a very safe herbal if not used in excess. It certainly sounds like you have a great protocol for him but if you want an opinion of someone who can see him you can check out some of the referral lists in this article. I also really like using acupuncture with the dogs I treat for osteosarcoma.

http://pathwithpaws.com/blog/2011/12/11/how-to-find-a-good-holistic-vet-to-work-with/

best wishes,

Lena

michellek

Lena-

Thanks for the response. Yes, I understand. I have to see if there is a holistic vet in my area that I could work with. It is a tough decision to make, but if that is the only option of making him feel better and for him to live longer, I may have to go that route. I will keep him up on the herbs and the diet and try to get some acupuncture for him. I appreciate your quick responses and help. I shall keep you posted. Thank you!

-Michelle

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.