Maggie’s protocol for osteosarcoma
I just saw a dog with a similar cancer to Maggie’s this morning and wanted to add one more page to Maggie’s story. I hope this is helpful to the folks out there working with the many dogs who suffer from osteosarcoma. Here is the protocol we used to treat Maggie’s cancer. I use a similar protocol for most of the dogs I treat.
Also please see my cancer care page
- Three treatment of radiation and three treatments of chemotherapy towards the beginning of her illness.
- Amputation of her affected leg
- A high quality, grain free homemade diet
- A supplement called SanSheDan ChuanBei Ye, which helps to keep cancer out of the lungs. In Seattle this can be purchased at Lucky An Dong in the International District. One of my favorite supplements, it is made from apricot seed, fritillary seed, and snake bile. Often called snake oil by my clients, this supplement is very helpful for any lung condition and for keeping cancer out of the lungs.
- Missing Link supplement to support her body and immune system.
- After she was done with radiation, Artemisinin a powerful anti-cancer herb. This is a herbal supplement in research right now for treating osteosarcoma in people. It is absorbed by cancer cells (which have a high iron uptake) and produces free radicals which kill the cancer cells. This herb can not be given during radiation therapy or for two months afterwards.
- Pain medications as needed
- lots of love!
Please remember that every dog is different and that you should find a veterinarian to work with before starting any supplements.