Artemisinin Duration

Home Forums Herb discussion Artemisinin Duration

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Lisa K

Hello:

My dog Max is 2 weeks post-op left front leg amputation due to Grade II fibrosarcoma. Blood tests and chest x-ray prior to surgery showed no evidence of cancer elsewhere. Tumor contained to the leg. However, I have started Max on Artemisinin as a proactive measure. Does anyone have any articles/experience using Artemisinin long term? Is it safe to keep him on Arte for the duration of his life? I also have him on medicinal mushrooms, Turmeric, and IP6. I am, of course, using on/off schedule with the arte.

Thank you.

Lisa and Max

Lena
    Keymaster

Hi Lisa and Max,

I consider it safe long term unless radiation treatments are being used. I have had multiple dogs on artemisinin for two years and longer without problems. If we get to two years I give people the option of stopping it as usually you have bet the cancer at that point. Some do and some don’t.

best wishes,

Lena

patrick c

Hi, I had a question about dosing when using artemisinin and artesunate together. I’ve seen that combination mentioned before but I don’t know what the appropriate dosages are when they are both used. Also, is it effective to add artesunate to the regiment? Any help is much appreciated, Thanks.

Lena
    Keymaster

I have never used artesunate so I am not sure. It seems like you would not need both.

patrick c

Thanks for the reply doctor, I had a few other questions that occurred to me. My understanding of arte is that it shouldn’t be administered with antioxidants, but I’ve seen mention of it’s use with curcumin, which apparently is a strong antioxidant. Could you clarify that? Also, when would be the best time to give my dog a dose? I’d like to base it on her circadian rhythm. Finally, would it be beneficial to give melatonin to my dog to help establish a more regular pattern (she seems to sleep less deeply than before, probably as a result of her cancer)? Thanks again. Patrick

Lena
    Keymaster

There is a lot of debate about the antioxidants. I tend to use artemisinin with antioxidants as I think the positives of the antioxidants outweigh any potential decrease in artemisinin’s ability to work. From a Chinese viewpoint I don’t see an interaction. I tend to dose artemisinin twice a day and don’t have exact times to give it. Some Chinese formulas do have times I prefer to give them. Melatonin I use more for dogs that sleep more in the day and less at night. It sounds like if she is sleeping less deeply that may be more a blood deficiency issue or possibly a shen disturbance. If you have a Chinese practitioner or holistic practitioner you can take her to they may be able to help you find something that will work well for her sleep. You could also try feeding her a canned or cooked food meat rich meal right before sleep.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.